Superpower #2: Clearer Thinking

Embarrassing to admit, but clear thinking is new to me. Being able to articulate what it has been like being me is something I have never been able to do. Attention Deficit Disorder and Dyslexia have been with me my whole life. I like to think they no longer define me, but they have left their mark. You might say I overcame these conditions, but more precisely I have come to live with them. I learn to do things differently than most people. In dealing with my deficit in attention I learn to pick my targets carefully, I need to have a genuine interest in something and generate passion for it to sustain my focus. When I do this I can actually achieve hyper-focus, imagine that. When I get excited about something nothing can distract me from it. It's a little scary. When I find a book I love I loose myself in it. That's how I learn to read. I would find the story no matter what way the letters faced. I found that if I could love it I could do it. So I loved to read. Slowly at first, but not for long.When I found that direction didn't matter as much as desire I learn how to get off the short bus. That's why my sister asked me to have a talk with my niece. She asked me to tell her how I made being a Sped cool. She asked me to tell her how you don't have to be smart to learn. How smart people learn things so quickly they could never appreciate the glory of being the fish who climbed a tree. Einstein said something about this, but I lived it.

As an adult I realized that no matter where I went there I was. I realized being me is OK. Being me is easier now. Being a fish is cool.

Now that I don't suffocate every night while I sleep and can put these thoughts into words is cool. Feels like a super-power!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Gratitude

Time for some help

Flight of Beauty